Grass Valley police: Stolen vehicle recovered, burglary tools found inside
December 18, 2017
Grass Valley police say they arrested two men in a stolen car after the vehicle became boxed in to traffic on East Main Street.
Alfred James Gonzales, 25, of Penn Valley; and Jake Russell Sheldon, 37, of Grass Valley, each face charges of possession of burglary tools and possession of controlled substance paraphernalia, Nevada County Jail reports state.
Gonzales faces additional charges of vehicle theft, receipt of known stolen property and possession of a narcotic controlled substance, reports state.
Sheldon also is charged with carrying a concealed dirk or dagger and three counts of possession of a controlled substance, authorities said.
The arrests happened around 1:10 p.m. Sunday, after police spotted a silver sedan that matched the description of a vehicle stolen last week from Alta Sierra, Sgt. Clint Bates said.
"The vehicle, without an enforcement stop, began to recklessly drive," Bates added. "Basically trying to evade law enforcement."
Recommended Stories For You
The sedan, traveling west along East Main Street, jumped a curb near the roundabout and drove through a parking lot before returning to the road. Hearing police sirens, other motorists began to slow. Stalled traffic, along with patrol cars approaching from both sides, trapped the suspects' vehicle in the 300 block of East Main Street, Bates said.
Officers then found Gonzales in the driver's seat and Sheldon as his passenger, he added.
"The search and investigation revealed several burglary tools," the sergeant said.
A small amount of suspected heroin also was found, along with a small, fixed-blade knife, Bates said.
Gonzales remained held Monday afternoon on $500,000 in bond. Sheldon was held on $37,500 in bond, authorities said.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports theft of trees
- Nevada County Police Blotter: A dozen peacocks cause property damage
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman rips speed limit sign from ground, hits vehicle with it
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Missing sweater located, not with ‘hippies’ outside
- Nevada City man accused of having $1 million in pot now in federal custody, sheriff’s office says
- Narcotics detectives arrest Alta Sierra couple in connection with honey oil lab
- Audrey Denney, Doug LaMalfa battle for 1st Congressional District seat
- Three new cannabis businesses get go-ahead from Nevada City Planning Commission
- Cutting the mustard: Grass Valley’s Pine Street Burgers opens second location