Grass Valley police: Stolen vehicle recovered, burglary tools found inside
December 18, 2017
Grass Valley police say they arrested two men in a stolen car after the vehicle became boxed in to traffic on East Main Street.
Alfred James Gonzales, 25, of Penn Valley; and Jake Russell Sheldon, 37, of Grass Valley, each face charges of possession of burglary tools and possession of controlled substance paraphernalia, Nevada County Jail reports state.
Gonzales faces additional charges of vehicle theft, receipt of known stolen property and possession of a narcotic controlled substance, reports state.
Sheldon also is charged with carrying a concealed dirk or dagger and three counts of possession of a controlled substance, authorities said.
The arrests happened around 1:10 p.m. Sunday, after police spotted a silver sedan that matched the description of a vehicle stolen last week from Alta Sierra, Sgt. Clint Bates said.
"The vehicle, without an enforcement stop, began to recklessly drive," Bates added. "Basically trying to evade law enforcement."
Recommended Stories For You
The sedan, traveling west along East Main Street, jumped a curb near the roundabout and drove through a parking lot before returning to the road. Hearing police sirens, other motorists began to slow. Stalled traffic, along with patrol cars approaching from both sides, trapped the suspects' vehicle in the 300 block of East Main Street, Bates said.
Officers then found Gonzales in the driver's seat and Sheldon as his passenger, he added.
"The search and investigation revealed several burglary tools," the sergeant said.
A small amount of suspected heroin also was found, along with a small, fixed-blade knife, Bates said.
Gonzales remained held Monday afternoon on $500,000 in bond. Sheldon was held on $37,500 in bond, authorities said.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller’s son ‘holding the whole house hostage’
- Hearing in Jamie Kinseth homicide case postponed
- Police: Kinseth murder suspect allegedly moved body, hid evidence
- Reality TV Bigfoot hunter, Justin Smeja, faces hunting charges in Sierra County
- Bay Area rapper J Diggs, clocked at 75 mph, arrested on suspicion of felony gun possession in Truckee
- Nevada County lion attack is instead an assault, victim in stable but critical condition
- New Nevada County firearm rules go into effect Jan. 10
- Former Nevada County resident ‘Cappy’ Gordon killed in Montana
- Nevada County supervisors eye Old Tunnel Road land for homeless services
- The silent killer hits home: Over 400 Americans die annually from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning (VIDEO)