Grass Valley police arrest machete-wielding man without incident
December 4, 2017
For 10 to 20 seconds, the Grass Valley police officer had his weapon trained on Dennis Jeffrey Bryson.
The 57-year-old Bryson, holding a machete, refused police commands. Bryson then began approaching the officer, whose gun remained pointed at him, Capt. Steve Johnson said.
"They had kind of a verbal standoff," he added. "That made for a very few tense moments."
The situation diffused quickly without a shot being fired. Bryson dropped his weapon. A second officer arrived and police took him into custody, Johnson said.
Bryson, who remained Monday afternoon in the Nevada County Jail under $450,000 in bond, is charged with threatening a crime, brandishing and disorderly conduct, reports state.
The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. Friday behind the Holbrooke Hotel in downtown Grass Valley. It began when Bryson, standing under second-story balcony, started threatening people above him, Johnson said.
Recommended Stories For You
"He began yelling at them and threatening them," he added.
Some passersby happened to walk through the area at that moment, shifting Bryson's attention to them. One of the people on the balcony saw this, grew concerned and joined the people below, the captain said.
Holding the machete above his head, Bryson backed the group against a car, Johnson said.
"And he was yelling at them, very agitated," he added.
The first officer then arrived, exited his car and began speaking to Bryson, who appeared intoxicated once police examined him, the captain said.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Hairy men shooting up
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Dirt biker threatens property owner
- Nevada City man accused of having $1 million in pot now in federal custody, sheriff’s office says
- 2nd murder suspect in death of veteran Stan Norman appears in Nevada County court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Zombie-like person on road
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- Human skull found in Truckee off Highway 89
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info