Cigarette, exploding oxygen tank causes fire | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Cigarette, exploding oxygen tank causes fire

A Grass Valley woman was burned over half of her body Tuesday morning when her home oxygen pump – attached to an oxygen tank – ignited by her cigarette, exploded and burned down her home on the 10000 block of Lovus Court.

Deborah Miller was airlifted to UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento for burns she received Tuesday shortly before 6 a.m. in the house fire. She was listed in critical condition Tuesday afternoon.

Three of her family members received minor injuries in the fire, said Nevada County Consolidated Fire District Fire Chief Tim Fike.



Miller’s sister Dawn Minchinton suffered a burn on her hand and Miller’s son reportedly cracked his rib as he tried to escape the fire out a front window.

Miller’s husband Tom Miller was reportedly not injured.




Reported to be in her 50s, Miller had respiratory problems, Fike said, and required constant oxygen.

She was in her bed, hooked up to the oxygen and smoking a cigarette when it ignited the tank.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User