Grass Valley’s Smiley Guys Smokehouse closes abruptly
September 28, 2017
Trivia buffs arriving at Smiley Guys Smokehouse Wednesday night for the weekly contest were greeted by a locked door, a dark building and a sign announcing that the Grass Valley restaurant had ceased operations.
Thursday morning, building owner Sharon Egner said she was unaware the barbecue place had closed abruptly, saying business owner George Cabanas had paid his rent through September. Cabanas did not return a call for comment, although he reportedly texted the neighboring Bitney College Preparatory High School in the 100 block of Joerschke Drive to inform them he was closing on Wednesday. A sign on the door said simply, "To our loyal customers: Smiley Guys Smokehouse is closed until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience."
Cabanas had purchased the business from previous owner Jesse Cohen in December, Egner said.
Trending In: Business
- Meet your merchant: Retired nurse finds a new calling working with pets
- Friar Tuck’s Restaurant and Bar owner Greg Cook dead at 66
- Are commercial condominiums good investments?
- Limited editions: Nevada County natives meet up to create business in Santa Barbara
- Meet your merchant: Family of three redheads founded a successful baking company from their home kitchen