Looking back to go forward
In business planning, career planning and life planning, it is advantageous to look back at where you have been to get inspired about where you are headed.
This time of year is perfect to look back over your accomplishments during the last 12 months. As you look back and relive your achievements, discoveries and breakthroughs, you can’t help but to feel a little lighter, see a little further and beam a little brighter. As you step onto your proverbial mountain top, you will be able to see new horizons for yourself that you otherwise would not be able to see. From this vista point is exactly where you want to plan your next year.
Here are some great questions to provoke your brilliance and help you ascend to your mountain top.
1. What was your biggest triumph?
2. What else are you most happy about having completed or achieved?
3. What was the single best decision you made?
4. What was the biggest risk you took?
5. How did you contribute to your community?
6. What habits did you change that are making a difference in your life?
7. What relationships did you develop or deepen that have made your life richer?
8. What adversities did you overcome?
9. What did you finally let go of that will now free you up?
10. What did you do to improve your health and well being?
11. What books, movies and music did you experience that has had an impact on you?
12. What events did you attend that you learned something new to help you grow?
13. Where did you travel and what did you learn?
14. How did you take more control of your financial situation to take care of your future self?
15. What is the most important lesson you learned during your journey this past year?
16. What did you learn about yourself that inspires you?
17. What else do you need to acknowledge about this past year to be complete and move into the New Year?
18. What one word best sums up and describes your 2012 experience?
19. What advice do you want to give yourself for the New Year?
20. What do you want your biggest triumph to be this coming year?
Having traveled through these 20 questions, what came up for you? How does that feel? What do you notice about yourself right now? Notice what you now believe is possible for you this coming year as you think from this place. Write it all down. Step into it and live it throughout the new year.
Make it up, make it fun, and make it happen!
Machen P. MacDonad, CPCC, CCSC is a certified life and business coach with ProBrilliance Leadership Institute in Grass Valley. He helps business people gain more confidence and clarity to live their ideal life. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and (530) 273-8000.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User