Burn permits required as of May 1 | TheUnion.com

Burn permits required as of May 1

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) will begin requiring door yard burn permits for residential burning within state responsibility areas of Nevada County on Wednesday, May 1. Residents must obtain a valid burn permit and burn only on permissive burn days as determined by their local air district.

Due to lack of significant rainfall this winter, conditions are very dry, with potentially high fire danger early in the season. While homeowners need to complete all of their defensible space projects as soon as possible, disposing of the leftover debris by burning could prove to be challenging.

“It is imperative that landowners follow all requirements listed on the burn permit,” said CAL FIRE Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit Chief Brad Harris. “If a fire escapes their control, they can be issued a citation and be held liable for suppression costs and damages.”

Requirements listed on the burn permit include:

• Maximum pile size is 4 foot in diameter.

• Clear all flammable material and vegetation within 10 feet of the outer edge of the burn pile.

• Keep a water supply close to the burn pile.

• An adult must be in attendance with a shovel until the fire is out.

• Only dry vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings can be burned.

• Absolutely no household trash or garbage can be burned.

• No burning shall be undertaken unless weather conditions are safe, with no strong wind.

• You must have your signed permit in your possession while you are burning, and you are responsible for maintaining control of your fire at all times.

• Always call 530-274-7928 to confirm burn day status, including appropriate burning hours.

CAL FIRE encourages homeowners to find alternate ways to recycle vegetation. Nevada County offers a chipping program, which a homeowner can utilize as a safer alternative to burning by turning certain door yard debris into smaller, more manageable and easily recycled material. For more information on the chipping programs, visit the website of your local air district or fire safe council or call 530-272-1122.

For more information on burn permit requirements and safe burning, contact CAL FIRE at 530-889-0111 or visit http://www.fire.ca.gov.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User