Authorities take Wyatt Yoder into custody |

Authorities take Wyatt Yoder into custody

Wyatt Yoder

Authorities say the large SWAT vehicle rolling down the driveway alerted Wyatt Yoder to his imminent capture.

Wanted for fleeing officers a handful of times, Yoder ran around 7 p.m. Tuesday from a house in the 17000 block of Crest Road in South County. Officers had a warrant to enter the home and arrest the 32-year-old Yoder, but it wasn’t needed. They’d formed a perimeter around the area and arrested him outside. Yoder then surrendered without incident, sheriff’s Lt. Rob Bringolf said.

It was the first time since Yoder missed a May hearing in Nevada County Superior Court that he was within arm’s reach of an officer.
Wyatt appeared Wednesday in court for his arraignment. Held without bond, he’s next scheduled for court on Sept. 5, Deputy District Attorney Casey Ayer said in an email.

Authorities have accused Yoder of fleeing officers multiple times. In one case police said a chase almost led to a woman and child being hit.

“In this case, we’d identified that he would run when we’d attempt to stop him,” Bringolf said.

The lieutenant declined to say how long authorities had Yoder under surveillance. At some point they learned he was at the Crest Road home, which isn’t his. They then watched the home and obtained a warrant.

Officers wanted to arrest Yoder in what Bringolf called a controlled environment. Twenty to 25 Grass Valley, Nevada County sheriff’s and California Highway Patrol officers were involved in the capture, which included the sheriff’s Special Enforcement Detail and the Critical Incident Negotiation Team. Additionally, the highway patrol had a fixed-wing aircraft overhead, a release states.

Officers could have served a no-knock warrant and given Yoder no notice. Alternatively, they could have surrounded the home and announced their presence. The latter could have led to the use of the negotiation team, Bringolf said.

Instead Yoder ran from the home and was caught outside, negating the need for either, he added.

“In this case, nobody got hurt,” Bringolf said. “There were no injures at all. This to me is a win-win.”

According to reports, Yoder in June 2018 ran from officers. He made bail, but then missed a May court hearing.

Yoder was spotted in June near downtown Grass Valley, leading to a police chase. That chase almost resulted in a woman and child being hit, reports state.

Police have said that days later officers again saw Yoder, this time near Lodestar Drive and Dog Bar Road. He fled in a Toyota 4Runner. Officers later found the vehicle abandoned in a field.
On Aug. 14 Grass Valley police said they believed Yoder fled from officers, was involved in a hit-and-run and then left his vehicle behind a Kate Hayes Street apartment complex before stealing a pickup and fleeing.

To contact City Editor Alan Riquelmy, email or call 530-477-4239.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.