Woolman Teen Leadership Camp provides opportunities for local youth
June 21, 2018
A generous donor has made scholarships available for teens ages 15, 16 and 17 who are eager to backpack on the Pacific Crest Trail, learn wilderness skills, and engage in personal growth through an inclusive small-group experience in nature.
The Woolman Teen Leadership Camp is located at Sierra Friends Center near Nevada City on a 230-acre wooded campus nestled in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The facilities include cabins, a dining hall, meetinghouse, playing fields, arts and crafts buildings, a creek, a swimming pond, and walking trails.
Amy Cooke, the camp director, said, "We are a camp that focuses on peace and justice, creating a space where all campers feel safe and accepted for who they are. Our program is also unique in the fact that we take all our campers on overnight backpacking trips. For many teens, this is their first experience living in nature: sleeping on the ground under the stars, packing in all their food and gear, and sharing the work and humor of communal living."
As a parent recently commented, "Teen Leadership Camp offered my son diverse outdoor activities around Woolman core values, allowing him to challenge himself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. From 'going the distance' while backpacking, to time spent alone reflecting, the two weeks spent at camp helped our son mature in an environment of fun and caring."
There are three two-week sessions of Teen Leadership Camp this summer, running from Sunday through Aug. 4. Each session has a slightly different focus and hiking intensity.
Full cost for a two-week session is $1,450. Scholarships (up to 100 percent tuition) are awarded on a sliding scale dependent upon family size and income. Online registration available at woolman.org.
Recommended Stories For You
For more information about financial aid or the application process, contact camp via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Melora Purell, the camp operations manager at 808-333-0976.
Source: Woolman at Sierra Friends Center.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Hell Hath No Fury: Sierra Cinemas presents Adriana Lecouvreur as the latest offering of The Met Opera Live in HD
- What ‘rescue only’ means to shelter animals
- Ron Cherry: Gasser of a ’59 Chevy Pickup
- Every song tells a story: Brodsky & Farren play Odd Fellows in Nevada City
- New faces at Western Sierra Medical Clinic
- Nevada City ‘Uber driver’ sentenced to four years
- Suspected shooter evades police on motorcycle on Highway 49 through Nevada County
- Nevada City considers moratorium on some cannabis manufacturers
- House rules: The Pour House open for business in Grass Valley
- Nevada County judge sentences child molester to 12 years