Poetry book launch at the Open Book in Grass Valley
May 23, 2018
Beloved local poets and regulars at the Open Book Open Mic, Gene Berson and Yakshi will read from their respective collections and be available to sign and sell copies of their newly published works. The Open Book Press will launch these books with a party: community, wine, music and poetry at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at 671 Maltman Drive in Grass Valley.
Gene Berson, based in the Sierra foothills, has long been active in the Bay Area poetry scene. He has taught poetry workshops in everything from one-room Wyoming schoolhouses to reform schools, Indian reservations and as a high school teacher in Oakland.
He has also worked in the trade show industry as a member of Sign Display Union, local 510. His work has appeared in such journals as American Poetry Review and Beatitude, and the anthology Honeydew, Red Fez, among others.
"What a cosmic gift, a veritable cosmos of Berson's advanced pyrotechnic verse. Fasten your star-studded seatbelts! You're in for a grand ride!"— David Meltzer, whom Lawrence Ferlinghetti once described as "one of the greats of post-World-War-Two San Francisco poets and musicians" (Selected Poems).
Yakshi has found joy and fulfillment contributing to her community's well-being and family's livelihood as a librarian and schoolteacher for almost five decades. But it's poetry that has fueled the work and kept her alive. This is her first collection of poetry, spanning more than 30 years of her work.
"Feminine Face of God pulses with the intimacy and love that vibrates through all our relations, revealing our communion with the entire reality. These poems throb with life." — Diane Pendola, author of "The Lioness Tale" and creator of the Lioness Prison Project.
Recommended Stories For You
Source: The Open Book.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Joan Merriam: Puppies for sale — tips on picking your new furry friend
- Rock out with the ladies of Zepparella in Auburn
- Homegrown Americana music: Hear new Nevada County resident talent Darol Anger & Emy Phelps live on KVMR
- Kaleidoscope of creativity: Artists give glimpse into world of creation at the Fall Colors Open Studios Art Tour of Nevada County
- Annie Keeling: Every fence has a gate — Setting boundaries and opening doors for your children
- Cutting the mustard: Grass Valley’s Pine Street Burgers opens second location
- Narcotics detectives arrest Alta Sierra couple in connection with honey oil lab
- Driver wrecks on Highway 20 in Penn Valley, arrested after he wanders from scene, CHP says
- Spotlight on Nevada County sheriff’s race: Shannan Moon, Bill Smethers discuss recidivism, jail issues (VIDEO)
- Pair accused of using concrete bolt gun on Glenbrook Basin vending machine