Painted Mandolin: A journey through the music of Jerry Garcia
January 3, 2019
Get ready for a high energy, dynamic acoustical representation of Jerry Garcia's collection of music played by Painted Mandolin. The band pays tribute to Grateful Dead's late guitarist with a surprising take on his classic songs.
Their set journeys through the acoustic side of Garcia's music beginning with his early jug band days into the bluegrass of Old and In the Way and on to Grateful Dead's "Reckoning" period. Painted Mandolin also plays songs from Garcia's acoustic band and the Garcia/ Grisman project from the early 90s.
The band is a quartet made up of musicians whose musical talents vary as widely as the range of Garcia's music that they play. The band features Joe Craven, who during the 90s played and recorded with Garcia for the Garcia/ Grisman project. Craven does the vocals as well as plays the mandolin, fiddle, and percussion. Craven is an accomplished story teller, band leader, and multi-instrumentalist. Larry Graff is also on vocals, guitar and mandolin. He not only plays for Painted Mandolin, but is also the founding member of the Banana Slug String Band, who tours North America singing about eco-science to kids and families. Graff has been a Deadhead for 40 years and brings to the stage his experience, knowledge, passion and a whole lot of energy. Matt Hartle plays the guitar and the banjotar and contributes the group's vocal talents. He not only brings his love for Jerry Garcia to this project, but is also the lead guitarist and lead member of five Grateful Dead bands. His skillful guitar-play will leave audiences dancing, and wondering just what he will do next. The final member of Painted Mandolin is Terry Shields bringing his own musical prowess in the form of the upright bass and vocal harmonies. Together they present a sound and style that puts a fresh spin that Garcia would have loved and audiences will too.
Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. with the concert beginning at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door and can be purchased at Briar Patch, The Foothills Event Center and foothillsevents.com. For more information call (530)-271-1000.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Get the ball rolling: Miners Foundry lets the good times roll this Masquerade Ball
- From Hawaii with love: Slack key guitarist Makana brings signature sound to the mainland
- 5 things to know about chain control in Lake Tahoe before you go
- Master musicians set to dazzle Grass Valley audience with unique ensemble
- Best of the San Francisco Comedy Competition comes to Grass Valley
- Rain and snow headed for Grass Valley: 18 to 24 inches of snow forecast through Monday
- Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for deaths of Nevada Union High School students (VIDEO)
- What a mess: Power outages, downed trees and traffic hazards hit Nevada County
- Pump skimmers found at Nevada City gas station
- Gov. Newsom set to visit Grass Valley