On The Reel: Second Act stars Jennifer Lopez
January 3, 2019
Rated PG-13, running time 104 minutes. Starts Friday, Jan. 4 at Del Oro Theatre.
Jennifer Lopez stars as Maya, a 40-year-old woman struggling with frustrations from unfulfilled dreams.
Until, that is, she gets the chance to prove to Madison Avenue that street smarts are as valuable as book smarts, and that it is never too late for a Second Act.
MARIA BY CALLAS
Rated PG, running times 95 minutes. Shows Sunday, Jan. 3 at 7 p.m. at Nevada Theatre.
Recommended Stories For You
Tom Volf's Maria By Callas is the first film to tell the life story of the legendary Greek/American opera singer completely in her own words.
Told through performances, TV interviews, home movies, family photographs, private letters and unpublished memoirs-nearly all of which have never been shown to the public-the film reveals the essence of an extraordinary woman who rose from humble beginnings to become a glamorous international superstar and one of the greatest artists of all time.
Assembling the material for the film took director Volf four years of painstaking research.
"Highest Rating! 'Maria by Callas' finds lots of footage that most of us have never seen, and it's all fascinating."
— Mick LaSalle, S.F. Chronicle.
Trending In: Entertainment
- When Irish eyes are smiling: A St. Paddy’s Day Ceilidh to benefit Sierra Harvest
- St. Patrick’s Day’s a-comin’: Garcia Project returns to Nevada County
- Getting lucky: Truth or Dare’s March burlesque show celebrates St. Paddy’s
- Wake The Dead hit “The Foothill Fillmore”
- Camptonville concert takes a trip back in time
- Home prices climb out of reach for many in Nevada County (GRAPH)
- Woman who pleaded to Grass Valley T-Mobile robbery skips court
- Truckee officer recognizes wanted man, finds guns during search
- Nevada County authorities release cause of death in Adea Shabani homicide
- Meet your merchant: Love of area leads to setting up shop