Nevada County STEAM Expo links education to careers
March 16, 2017
The second annual Nevada County STEAM Expo 2017 runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 25 at the Main Street Center at the Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley.
The event, organized through the Nevada County Superintendent of Schools, combines science, technology, engineering, art and math into a stimulating experience for families and other visitors.
The expo promotes 21st Century educational goals and links to local career opportunities and resources.
K-12 students, their families and community members are encouraged to view student projects and participate in hands-on activities, including:
Robotics demonstrations and on-the-spot team competitions;
A virtual reality experience;
Recommended Stories For You
Music, science and art-related video shorts;
Programming a Sphero;
Making a bike-powered smoothie
In addition to performances by the Music In the Mountains Youth Orchestra and opportunities for bicycle services and repairs by the 7 Hills Bicycle Recycle Club, new this year will be a STEAM Scavenger Hunt open to families and other visitors.
Awards for science projects, math challenges, robotics and arts incorporation will take place from 2 to 3 p.m. in the main exhibit hall.
Community and school exhibitors include: Nevada County Economic Resource Council, Nevada County Arts Council, ACME Robotics, Forest Charter Biology Class, Cottage Hill Tech Team, Scotten School Robotics Club, Sierra College, Paralax, AJA Video, Nevada Union Green Biology, Girls Who Code Club, Sierra Streams Institute, Nevada County Astronomers, Nevada Union STEM Club, Nevada County Libraries, Nevada irrigation District and American Association of University Women.
Food and beverages will be available for purchase from local vendors and school nonprofits.
Sponsors include: Telestream, Nevada County Fairgrounds, NID, Sphero, Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital and AJA Video Systems.
For more information, see http://www.nevcoexpo.org
Trending In: Entertainment
- FiftyFifty celebrates production facility grand opening in Truckee
- Teen swims length of Lake Tahoe for charity
- Annie Keeling: Successful parents build fences
- A classic & enduring American comedy! — Sierra Stages presents “You Can’t Take It With You” at the historic Nevada Theatre in Nevada City
- From philosopher to CPA and KVMR board president
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Human skull found in Truckee off Highway 89
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info