Nevada County STEAM Expo links education to careers
March 16, 2017
The second annual Nevada County STEAM Expo 2017 runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 25 at the Main Street Center at the Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley.
The event, organized through the Nevada County Superintendent of Schools, combines science, technology, engineering, art and math into a stimulating experience for families and other visitors.
The expo promotes 21st Century educational goals and links to local career opportunities and resources.
K-12 students, their families and community members are encouraged to view student projects and participate in hands-on activities, including:
Robotics demonstrations and on-the-spot team competitions;
A virtual reality experience;
Recommended Stories For You
Music, science and art-related video shorts;
Programming a Sphero;
Making a bike-powered smoothie
In addition to performances by the Music In the Mountains Youth Orchestra and opportunities for bicycle services and repairs by the 7 Hills Bicycle Recycle Club, new this year will be a STEAM Scavenger Hunt open to families and other visitors.
Awards for science projects, math challenges, robotics and arts incorporation will take place from 2 to 3 p.m. in the main exhibit hall.
Community and school exhibitors include: Nevada County Economic Resource Council, Nevada County Arts Council, ACME Robotics, Forest Charter Biology Class, Cottage Hill Tech Team, Scotten School Robotics Club, Sierra College, Paralax, AJA Video, Nevada Union Green Biology, Girls Who Code Club, Sierra Streams Institute, Nevada County Astronomers, Nevada Union STEM Club, Nevada County Libraries, Nevada irrigation District and American Association of University Women.
Food and beverages will be available for purchase from local vendors and school nonprofits.
Sponsors include: Telestream, Nevada County Fairgrounds, NID, Sphero, Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital and AJA Video Systems.
For more information, see http://www.nevcoexpo.org
Trending In: Entertainment
- John Seivert: Opioid epidemic 101
- Top chef: Microgreens star in Jr. Iron Chef competition at Nevada Union High School
- 2018 Sierra Poetry Festival: Second annual festival returns to Nevada County
- Ann Wright: Fields of gold … and violet, crimson and butter-yellows!
- Summer camps are ramping up for registration in Nevada County
- BREAKING: Nevada County looks to extend contract with Sammie’s Friends
- Search underway for missing Vietnam vet
- Former Auburn Police officer charged in decades old ‘Golden State Killer’ cases
- Chico man shot, killed after vehicle pursuit through Nevada, Placer counties
- George Boardman: Will it be business as usual with new sheriff?