Make sure you know your fire restrictions |

Make sure you know your fire restrictions

Fire restrictions have gone into effect this week within the Tahoe National Forest. According to Forest Supervisor Eli Ilano, “After record precipitation this past winter, hot and dry summer weather has created conditions on the Forest that could support large fire growth. We want to ensure a fun and safe summer for everyone.”

Fire Restrictions

No open fires, campfires or charcoal fires are allowed on Tahoe National Forest lands outside of designated areas, even with a valid California Campfire Permit.

Lanterns and portable stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed, unless otherwise restricted, with a valid California Campfire Permit, available from Forest Service offices during business hours and at

No welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame.

No smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or designated recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.

Internal combustion engines are restricted to National Forest System roads, trails, and areas, as identified on the Tahoe National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map (including the Prosser Pits Developed Off-Highway Vehicle Area). Motorized cross-country travel between roads, trails and areas is prohibited.

Complete details regarding 2017 fire restrictions, including the list of designated recreation sites, are available on the Tahoe National Forest website at

Those with a valid 2017 wood cutting permit may cut firewood in compliance with the terms of their permit.

Questions about fire restrictions, designated recreation sites, motor vehicle use and firewood cutting on the Tahoe National Forest may be directed to local Tahoe National Forest Service offices, including: Supervisor’s Office, (530) 265-4531; American River Ranger District (Foresthill), (530) 367-2224; Sierraville Ranger District, (530) 994-3401; Truckee Ranger District, (530) 587-3558; and Yuba River Ranger District (Camptonville), (530) 288-3231.

If you see a wildfire, report it immediately by dialing 911.

The Tahoe National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map is available for free at any Tahoe National Forest office and at

Information regarding private land fire restrictions, regulated by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, is available at

For more Tahoe National Forest information, go to or on Twitter at and Facebook at

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User