El Dorado County wins at 2018 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
January 23, 2018
The 2018 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition recently announced its winners — and El Dorado County wineries were among those honored.
In the second week of January, nearly 70 judges traveled to Sonoma County to determine the best wines across the nation, according to a release from Wine Judging. Thirty-five states were represented in the competition, which received just under 7,000 entries and is the largest one of its kind in America.
Participating beverages were divided into a mix of categories and subcategories, and judges rated drinks as Bronze, Silver, Gold or Double Gold.
The competition bestowed accolades upon over 150 vineyards and wineries, although only seven claimed titles in the Sweepstakes judging that took place after three days of standard competition.
El Dorado County wineries took home multiple wins in Best of Class 2018: Boeger Winery's Pinot Grande (White Pinor Noir) and Blue Stocking (white dessert wine) both notched awards, as did Shadow Ranch Vineyard's Tempranillo.
"We entered as usual, hoping we would get Gold maybe on something. To come back with a whole flight of awards was surprising and astonishing. It's hard to get recognized among 7,000 wines. It's a pretty big deal to get it, and we're very happy," said Lexi Boeger, VP of marketing at Boeger Winery.
Recommended Stories For You
Apart from the winery's two Best of Class awards, it also received one Double Gold award, one Gold award, three Silver awards and two Bronze awards.
While judging is over, wines will again be honored at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition's Public Tasting on Saturday, Feb. 17.
The event marks an opportunity for the public to taste the award-winning wines at Fort Mason Center's Festival Pavilion in San Francisco. Tickets cost $70 in advance and $95 at the door — but it's best to grab them ahead of time, as the event has sold out for the past eight years.
Learn more about the competition and public tasting online at http://www.winejudging.com.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Joan Merriam: Puppies for sale — tips on picking your new furry friend
- Rock out with the ladies of Zepparella in Auburn
- Homegrown Americana music: Hear new Nevada County resident talent Darol Anger & Emy Phelps live on KVMR
- Kaleidoscope of creativity: Artists give glimpse into world of creation at the Fall Colors Open Studios Art Tour of Nevada County
- Annie Keeling: Every fence has a gate — Setting boundaries and opening doors for your children
- Cutting the mustard: Grass Valley’s Pine Street Burgers opens second location
- Driver wrecks on Highway 20 in Penn Valley, arrested after he wanders from scene, CHP says
- Narcotics detectives arrest Alta Sierra couple in connection with honey oil lab
- Spotlight on Nevada County sheriff’s race: Shannan Moon, Bill Smethers discuss recidivism, jail issues (VIDEO)
- Pair accused of using concrete bolt gun on Glenbrook Basin vending machine