The Venerable Gary N. Brown returns to Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Grass Valley
June 2, 2016
The Venerable Gary N. Brown last month returned to Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Grass Valley, where he was originally called several years ago but was unable to serve at that time.
Archdeacon Brown comes from St. John's Episcopal Church in Marysville, where he has served since ordination as a deacon in the Episcopal Church in 2012.
He is a graduate of the Episcopal School for Deacons in Berkeley, where he studied for three years and received a bachelor's degree in diaconal studies.
Brown was originally called to the diaconate by the congregation of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, but upon ordination was not able to serve there since there were already two deacons at that church.
Instead, he served at St. John's in Marysville for nearly the last four years.
Due to recent changes, Brown returned to Emmanuel in May, replacing the two deacons who had moved out of the area.
Recommended Stories For You
Brown received the title of Archdeacon for the Diocese of Northern California in 2014 when he was appointed to that post by Bishop Barry Beisner.
In that role, he is responsible for assisting the Bishop in any matters concerning the deacons of the diocese, in addition to his diaconal work at Emmanuel.
Archdeacon Brown is retired from a career as a RN specializing in psychiatry; a career in which he served in supervisory, management and administrative capacities, as well as teaching and providing direct clinical care.
He is also the founding executive director of Grass Valley-based Welcome Home Vets, a position that he held until taking on the responsibility of Archdeacon.
Welcome Home Vets is a nonprofit organization that provides mental health services to veterans and their family members as well as promoting community awareness about the effects of military-related psychological trauma on the veteran, family members and the community.
Emmanuel Episcopal Church is a growing Anglican parish where diverse peoples are brought into a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ and serve Him with zeal, living out the life of Christ through giving, outreach, worship and faithful discipleship. For more information, wwwemmanuelgv.org for more information. 530-273-7876
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Cherry: Father and son ’56 Willys Jeep Wagon
- Remember when TV had a 12-channel dial and only three channels?
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Common-cure ’70 Chevy C10 short-bed fleetside pickup
- Butte County sees best wildflower season in years — many regional groups offering guided walks
- Authorities rule Roseville woman’s death a suicide
- Grass Valley man accused of threatening to kill, gut officers
- Snow, rain totals for Nevada County beating last year
- Grass Valley police say suspected burglar was found with counterfeit money
- Meet Your Merchant: Business started when owner found a niche during the Great Recession