Shanghai Acrobats of the People’s Republic of China perform Wednesday in Grass Valley
KNOW & GO
WHO: The Center for the Arts presents
WHAT: Shanghai Acrobats of the People’s Republic of China, Performing Shanghai Nights
WHEN: Wednesday, Sept. 21, 7:30 p.m.
2nd SHOW ADDED! Wednesday, Sept. 21, 11 a.m.
WHERE: The Center for the Arts
314 W. Main St., Grass Valley
TICKETS: $32, Members $37, General Public, $17, Youth 18 and under
The Center Box Office - 530-274-8384 ext 14
BriarPatch Co-op Community Market - 530-272-5333
Tickets online at http://www.thecenterforthearts.org
The company of Shanghai Acrobats of the People’s Republic of China will perform “Shanghai Nights” in two shows at The Center for the Arts on Wednesday.
The company was founded in 1959. After more than 50 years it has become one of the most influential and competitive acrobatic companies in China and has won many awards at the acrobatic and circus competitions at home and abroad.
Since the 1980s, the company has been invited to perform in more than 30 countries including the United States, Germany, Spain, Britain, Mexico, Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Turkey, Canada, Indonesia, Fiji, Cameroon, Guinea and Nigeria. The troupe not only brings Chinese acrobatic and circus arts but serves as international friendship ambassadors for the People’s Republic.
In 1999 and 2000, the company toured Germany and Netherlands as The Great Chinese State Circus. The company and its performers have performed for the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus, Mystere of Cirque du Soleil at Treasure Island Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Stardust’s World Christmas circuses in Germany and Netherlands. From 2004 to 2010 the troupe performed as a permanent show at Rixos Hotel in Turkey. In 2012, its 40 acrobats performed a tour in Canada with the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony’s 52 pieces orchestra. The company also performed ERA, a permanent show of over 50 performers as Shanghai Acrobats in Xinyang, one of China’s tourist cities for three years from 2012 to 2014.
This tour of Shanghai Acrobats of the People’s Republic of China 2016 will bring the company coast to coast in North America. The presentation will be the debut of “Shanghai Nights!!”
2. Aerial Silk Su Zihui and Cao Zhiqiang
3. Energy –Adagio Trio Hu Tao, Li Yi, Deng Xinpeng
4. Girls’ Feet Juggling with Balls Tao Linyu, Li Jin, Zeng Nifei, Zeng Jing, Chen Fang
5. Teeterboard Xiang Yang, Li Yi, Hu Tao, Liu Ying, Huang Liang
6. Clowning Kicking Bowls to Head on Rola Rola Nie Jian
7. Vocal Imitating Performance Zhang Kui
8. Straw Hats’ Play Qiu Guosheng, Zhou Zhenliang, Wu Yan, Zhou Tianchen, Yuan Yuan
9. Aerial Ring Wang Caihong
10. Unicycle Troupe Hu Tao, Li Yi ,Zheng Tian, Qiu Guoshen
11. Ballet on Shoulders Luo Xichen and Hu Tao
10. Leather Straps Fan Lilei, Ge Hongxu, Pei Cunchuang, Zhou Shibang, Wang Dingding
11. Hoop-diving Xiong Yi, Wu Yan, Zheng Tian, Li Chong, Liu Ying, Wang Dingding, Zhang Jie
12. High Chairs Cheng Zhi
13. Vocal Imitating Performance Hu Tao, Li Yi, Zheng Tian, Qiu Guoshen
14. Plates Spinning on High Stilts Chen Fang, Wang Ji, Shen Zhonghui, Li Nan, Nie Li, Xie Qian
15. Finale All artists
1. Contortion with Candle Lights Wang Caihong
2. Happy Chef Huang Liang, Yang Min, Yin Bangqing
3. TrianglePoles Li Yi, Xiong Yi, Hu Tao, Cao Zhiqiang
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User