Hula classes offered in Nevada City
June 30, 2016
Registration is open for hula classes at Laura Bishop School of Dance, 540 Searls Ave., Nevada City.
The elder ladies (kupuna), young ladies (wahine), and children (keiki) of Hula Mele Kai Kalani (song of the ocean heaven) are welcoming new students for summer hula.
The program is through a local club (hui) uniting dancers of the Pacific, those Hawaiian at heart, and those who have always wanted to dance.
Under the direction of Mercedes Keawe Kahele, our instructors have over 25 years experience. They work to make hula fun and easy to learn.
They teach at community colleges, and have performed widely from Pearl City, Blaisedell, Hawaii, to Sacramento State Fair, to San Francisco Aloha Festivals, Mondavi Center at UC Davis, as well as many lu'aus, shows (ho'ike), concerts and events.
Future guest teachers (kumu) to be announced, including instruction in Poi Ball, Samoan, Tahitian, and ukulele, as well as concerts and lu'aus.
Recommended Stories For You
Families are encouraged and receive discounted tuition, $50 a month.
Ongoing classes are held Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Future class times to be arranged according to interest.
Call Kaia at 530.575.7380 to sign up.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- State of the union: Grass Valley’s 151 Union Station to close its doors
- HEW property owner plans another run at development
- Grass Valley’s Clint Walker, star of TV’s ‘Cheyenne,’ dies at age 91
- Joseph Ward, facing murder charge, tells authorities victim was secret society member
- Cal Fire: McCourtney, Lobo wildfires caused by trees falling into powerlines, PG&E cited