CATS big winner at 2013 Elly Awards
September 23, 2013
Western Nevada County's community theater community fared well at Sunday evening's 31st annual Elly Awards in Sacramento, with local groups receiving a quarter of the total accolades.
Eight Ellys were awarded to local companies including Community Asian Theatre of the Sierra, Synthetic Unlimited, Sierra Stages and Quest Theaterworks. At Sunday's presentation, hosted by the Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance, a total of 34 awards were given to individuals and companies from across a 10-county region.
CATS took home five awards for "Journey to the West," including overall production for a comedy.
Only one other production — "Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" by the Stockton Civic Theatre — took home more awards for a single production.
CATS also received Elly awards for "Journey to the West's" Set and Costume Design, both by Teresa Shea, Direction of a Comedy for Diane Fetterly, and Sound Design by Tynowyn Woolman.
Synthetic Unlimited earned two Elly's. Grace Fae got the nod for Leading Actress in a Drama for her performance in "Kingdom of the Earth." The other Elly went to Belle Star, Sovahn LeBlanc and Vivien Flint for Costume Design on "Antony and Cleopatra."
Recommended Stories For You
Lois Ewing, of Quest Theaterworks, earned a Supporting Actress in a Comedy Elly for her role in "Sealed for Freshness," and Erin Beatie, of Sierra Stages, received one for Lighting Design of "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
Ellys were handed out in Comedy, Drama, Musical and Original Works. The Elly Awards program serves community theatres within a 70-mile radius from downtown Sacramento, according to SARTA.
For more information about SARTA visit http://www.sarta.com. SARTA is a nonprofit.
Features Editor Brett Bentley can be contacted at email@example.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Dr. Heather Lucas-Ross tapped for top job at Western Sierra Medical Clinic in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Living history performance to bring founder of Red Cross to life
- SummerFest: Six Music in the Mountains concerts offer range of venues, styles
- Nevada City man accused of having $1 million in pot now in federal custody, sheriff’s office says
- Nevada County, federal authorities accuse man of having almost 1,300 pounds of pot
- Nevada County authorities charge Albert Silva with murder, vehicular homicide
- Grass Valley man to face charges in fatal wreck, authorities say
- UPDATE: Child dies in Nevada County wreck; driver deemed intoxicated by authorities