CATS big winner at 2013 Elly Awards
September 23, 2013
Western Nevada County's community theater community fared well at Sunday evening's 31st annual Elly Awards in Sacramento, with local groups receiving a quarter of the total accolades.
Eight Ellys were awarded to local companies including Community Asian Theatre of the Sierra, Synthetic Unlimited, Sierra Stages and Quest Theaterworks. At Sunday's presentation, hosted by the Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance, a total of 34 awards were given to individuals and companies from across a 10-county region.
CATS took home five awards for "Journey to the West," including overall production for a comedy.
Only one other production — "Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" by the Stockton Civic Theatre — took home more awards for a single production.
CATS also received Elly awards for "Journey to the West's" Set and Costume Design, both by Teresa Shea, Direction of a Comedy for Diane Fetterly, and Sound Design by Tynowyn Woolman.
Synthetic Unlimited earned two Elly's. Grace Fae got the nod for Leading Actress in a Drama for her performance in "Kingdom of the Earth." The other Elly went to Belle Star, Sovahn LeBlanc and Vivien Flint for Costume Design on "Antony and Cleopatra."
Recommended Stories For You
Lois Ewing, of Quest Theaterworks, earned a Supporting Actress in a Comedy Elly for her role in "Sealed for Freshness," and Erin Beatie, of Sierra Stages, received one for Lighting Design of "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
Ellys were handed out in Comedy, Drama, Musical and Original Works. The Elly Awards program serves community theatres within a 70-mile radius from downtown Sacramento, according to SARTA.
For more information about SARTA visit http://www.sarta.com. SARTA is a nonprofit.
Features Editor Brett Bentley can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Bierwagen’s annual pumpkin patch brings families back out to the farm
- Remember when TV had a 12-channel dial and only three channels?
- Common-cure ’70 Chevy C10 short-bed fleetside pickup
- Great pumpkins!: Pumpkin season brings Nevada County folks out to local farms
- Narcotics detectives arrest Alta Sierra couple in connection with honey oil lab
- Cutting the mustard: Grass Valley’s Pine Street Burgers opens second location
- Driver wrecks on Highway 20 in Penn Valley, arrested after he wanders from scene, CHP says
- Fire near Sutton Way linked to transient camp in Grass Valley (VIDEO)
- Audrey Denney, Doug LaMalfa battle for 1st Congressional District seat