Bruce Williams: 1st step with mother’s will is to file for probate |

Bruce Williams: 1st step with mother’s will is to file for probate

DEAR BRUCE: My mother passed away last week. After five days of looking for her will, I finally located it. I want to make sure I do everything correctly. What should be my first step? — Reader

DEAR READER: It’s a simple procedure. Your first step is to take your mother’s will down to the surrogate’s office or its equivalent in the county where she passed away. You then ask for the will to be filed for probate.

I am assuming you are named the executor. This will give you the responsibility to do the things that have to be done. When all of this is done, the remaining money is then distributed to her heirs (you) and/or any others named in her will.

DEAR BRUCE: The security service in my building operates a computer surveillance system that registers my movements in the building based on my use of a computer key at the building entrance and on the elevators. When I asked to see a print report of my movements, I noticed I was recorded in the building when I was on business and weekend travel.

Supposedly, this security data cannot be manipulated, yet it was manipulated. I tried to file a complaint against the license of the security firm involved, but that did not work. What would you do to assure the safety and security of your family in a violent and crazy country like the United States? — Reader

DEAR READER: First thing I would do is demand a meeting with upper management and ask them for an explanation. I know that it’s difficult to do and time-consuming, but I can’t think of a better way to approach this.

DEAR BRUCE: I’m 34 years old. My husband and I own our home and hope to buy a new home in the next two years. We want to rent out our current home to students at the local college. This way they can cover our mortgage payment. We currently have $184,000 in combined retirement funds. What are your thoughts on that? — Reader

DEAR Reader: It seems to me that you have a good handle on what you’re doing. One quarrel I have is with investing substantial monies in mutual funds. Mutual funds currently are paying a very low return. I would be much more comfortable investing in strong American companies paying a dividend.

Send questions to

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User