Carlee D’Arata released from jail; DA opts against filing charges against her at this time
April 19, 2017
In jail for four days on a murder accusation, Carlee Marie D’Arata was released Wednesday afternoon after the Nevada County district attorney opted against filing formal charges against her at this time.
D’Arata, 28, faced charges of second-degree murder, DUI and hit-and-run in the Saturday death of Antonette Thevenin, 31. Authorities said they arrested her that evening, and she remained in the Nevada County Jail until about 5 p.m. Wednesday.
According to jail officials, they must release any person facing charges if no judge orders a probable cause declaration or no initial court appearance occurs.
A judge in D’Arata’s case issued a probable cause declaration within 48 hours of her arrest. That extended her incarceration for at least two court days, Lt. Gary Smith said.
According to Smith, anyone facing charges must appear in court during those two court days. If prosecutors schedule no hearing, the person is released from jail.
District Attorney Cliff Newell has said he needs more information before he can make an informed decision on charges for D'Arata. He intends to review a final investigative report, which isn't yet completed, before making a final decision.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4239.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Trending
- Sheriff: Nevada County man dies in Yuba River
- Placer County authorities release ID of victim in fatal Friday wreck
- Nevada County death: Yoav Timmer ID’d as man who died Friday in Yuba River
- Nevada County fatality: Two killed at Highway 49, La Barr Meadows Road (VIDEO)
- Carlee D’Arata released from jail; DA opts against filing charges against her at this time
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County