What’s going on?
August 16, 2005
As we continue the process of establishing and maintaining puppet governments in the Middle East, ensuring that the vital flow of oil goes to just the right places, and that the increased cost of fuel will be enough to cover the cost of rebuilding the infrastructure and increasing production for future demands, with a little left over for generous contributions to both political parties, we might pause to consider the words and irony of Will Durant concerning Darius, ruler of Persia (Iraq) about 400 B C.
Durant writes: “It is the fatality of empire to breed repeated war. For the conquered must be periodically reconquered, and the conquerors must keep arts and habits of camp and battlefields; and at any moment the kaleidoscope of change may throw up a new empire (China) to challenge the old. In such situations wars must be invented if they do not arise of their own accord; each generation must be inured by the rigors of campaigns, and taught by practice of sweet decorum of dying for one’s country.”
Wouldn’t it be nice to know what is really going on? Can we really believe our elected leaders? Is there nothing new under the sun?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Grass Valley death: Arrest made in death of Brian Sharp
- Cause of death for Brian Sharp pending toxicology tests, Grass Valley police say
- Nevada Union graduate Jillian Smith vies for Miss California crown
- Ex-wife of Brian Sharp charged in death of Grass Valley man
- Grass Valley death: Authorities release ID of deceased man