Vote for local economic resiliency
March 28, 2014
I have been civically engaged since moving to Nevada County 15 years ago, yet I have never written a letter to The Union supporting a political candidate. Now I'm writing to support two candidates — Terry Lamphier and Fran Cole for county supervisors.
My primary reasons for this support are the candidates' commitment to locally owned businesses and their dedication to leading us toward a more sustainable economic ecosystem. Some people believe that land deals, construction projects and clearing the path for a stronger corporate presence constitutes economic development. In my opinion, true economic development requires holistic planning, graceful timing and precision execution. True economic development also creates lasting solutions that don't sell out a community's core assets for the benefit of relatively few.
I believe that both Terry Lamphier and Fran Cole have the willingness and abilities to serve their constituents with respect and fairness. They understand that economic growth is important, and that growing from within is the best way to achieve a thriving and resilient local economy.
Robert X. Trent
Trending In: Letters
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say