Vote for local economic resiliency
March 28, 2014
I have been civically engaged since moving to Nevada County 15 years ago, yet I have never written a letter to The Union supporting a political candidate. Now I'm writing to support two candidates — Terry Lamphier and Fran Cole for county supervisors.
My primary reasons for this support are the candidates' commitment to locally owned businesses and their dedication to leading us toward a more sustainable economic ecosystem. Some people believe that land deals, construction projects and clearing the path for a stronger corporate presence constitutes economic development. In my opinion, true economic development requires holistic planning, graceful timing and precision execution. True economic development also creates lasting solutions that don't sell out a community's core assets for the benefit of relatively few.
I believe that both Terry Lamphier and Fran Cole have the willingness and abilities to serve their constituents with respect and fairness. They understand that economic growth is important, and that growing from within is the best way to achieve a thriving and resilient local economy.
Robert X. Trent
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans