Volunteer firefighting a patriotic act in and of itself
May 17, 2013
I read in The Union today that the Nevada County Republican Party is indignant over the decision of the North San Juan Volunteer Fire Department to reduce the number of meetings at which the Pledge of Allegiance is said. Although the department revoked the decision (for other reasons), I'd like to publicly ask the Nevada County Republican Party to remove its nose from the business of my local volunteer fire department.
If they're worried that this department is not displaying a proper amount of "patriotism," I can't think of a more patriotic act than volunteering one's time to come to the aid of one's community at all hours of the day and night by defending people's homes from fire and responding to every medical emergency and rescue situation. Keep your politics out of my fire district, Republican Party.
San Juan Ridge
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws