Volunteer firefighting a patriotic act in and of itself
May 17, 2013
I read in The Union today that the Nevada County Republican Party is indignant over the decision of the North San Juan Volunteer Fire Department to reduce the number of meetings at which the Pledge of Allegiance is said. Although the department revoked the decision (for other reasons), I'd like to publicly ask the Nevada County Republican Party to remove its nose from the business of my local volunteer fire department.
If they're worried that this department is not displaying a proper amount of "patriotism," I can't think of a more patriotic act than volunteering one's time to come to the aid of one's community at all hours of the day and night by defending people's homes from fire and responding to every medical emergency and rescue situation. Keep your politics out of my fire district, Republican Party.
San Juan Ridge
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans