Unsung hero deserves recognition
December 26, 2012
I am compelled to write a letter to an unsung hero.
I have been a school teacher in the Nevada City School District for more than 20 years. Many wonderful educators have come and gone, some retiring, but some, unfortunately, let go due to budget constraints.
In light of the honor of California Distinguished School presented to Deer Creek Elementary, and of recent articles, I felt the need to mention one of the many people who paved the way for part of that honor. Her name is Doreen Baldock.
Doreen came to Deer Creek School and used her expertise as a nurse to create a complete health and fitness program. Her Cafe' Fruite' program was outstanding and earned honors from the state. She created an all- around physical education component, much to the delight of the children. You can ask hundreds of former students and they will remember her. Her energy, countless hours of unpaid work, and love for the health of all children will not be forgotten. Doreen was the inspiration behind the fitness program of Deer Creek School and as a former physical education teacher myself, I thank you. We all wish you well Doreen!
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws