The earth has a limit to what it can provide
May 2, 2013
Can we all agree that the income we earn is a resource that we use to determine what is possible for our necessities and extra things that we endeavor to do? Our personal resources of income and time also determine how big our family will be and determines the investment in our children, personal interests, etc. Our life and experience on this planet are finite, as is the Earth.
In just over 200 years, the population of the earth has grown from 1 billion to 7 billion people. Technologies in food and non-food production and health care advancements have enabled population growth. Providing for our neverending demands toward advancements have put pressure on Earth's finite resources. Manufacturing, medicine, farming and energy development have polluted our water, our air and ecosystems as vast as the Amazon and as small as our backyards in the Sierra Nevada foothills.
We all know from personal experience that there is a limit. The earth has a limit. If we keep taking beyond Earth's capacity, the Earth will no longer sustain us.
Wanda Way, Communications Committee
Nevada County Democrats
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site