The definition of ‘valedictorian’ lost on NU teacher
June 20, 2013
Lynn McDaniel (Other Voices guest column, "Because you asked, Mr. Boardman") seems to have trouble differentiating between the worth of an honor and the worthiness of students.
My letter criticizing the naming of 54 valedictorians at Nevada Union made the point that an honor that by definition goes to one person has no worth when it is shared by 54. This policy may make a lot of people feel good, but it does a disservice to the best student in the graduating class.
P.S. I was surprised to see my name in headline type usually reserved for the obituaries of prominent public officials. It would have made my day, but I had to put down the paper and go mow the lawn.
Lake of the Pines
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed