The definition of ‘valedictorian’ lost on NU teacher
June 20, 2013
Lynn McDaniel (Other Voices guest column, "Because you asked, Mr. Boardman") seems to have trouble differentiating between the worth of an honor and the worthiness of students.
My letter criticizing the naming of 54 valedictorians at Nevada Union made the point that an honor that by definition goes to one person has no worth when it is shared by 54. This policy may make a lot of people feel good, but it does a disservice to the best student in the graduating class.
P.S. I was surprised to see my name in headline type usually reserved for the obituaries of prominent public officials. It would have made my day, but I had to put down the paper and go mow the lawn.
Lake of the Pines
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada City’s Stone House fully up and running after year-long renovation