The definition of ‘valedictorian’ lost on NU teacher
June 20, 2013
Lynn McDaniel (Other Voices guest column, "Because you asked, Mr. Boardman") seems to have trouble differentiating between the worth of an honor and the worthiness of students.
My letter criticizing the naming of 54 valedictorians at Nevada Union made the point that an honor that by definition goes to one person has no worth when it is shared by 54. This policy may make a lot of people feel good, but it does a disservice to the best student in the graduating class.
P.S. I was surprised to see my name in headline type usually reserved for the obituaries of prominent public officials. It would have made my day, but I had to put down the paper and go mow the lawn.
Lake of the Pines
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire