Support the fight against Keystone XL pipeline
March 21, 2013
I'm encouraged to see the civil disobeyers in front of the White House fighting against the Keystone XL pipeline. Ironic that Obama was playing golf with oil and gas executives at the same time.
The Keystone pipeline is such an important focal point of resistance both because of its enormous climate altering potential and because it's something that the Obama administration could stop without the support of the congressional deniers who don't seem to represent any actual humans. After all, it's we humans and our kids who will have to deal with the crippling realities of drought, famine, storm, fire and other forms of hell on earth. I guess tar and oil execs have kids, too, but they must think their genetics make them immune.
Keystone XL would carry tar sands, not crude oil. NASA's leading climate scientist, Dr. James Hansen, said that tar sands development would mean "game over for the climate."
I've always shied away from direct action that could land me in the clink, but this call is getting too scary to ignore. The direct action against the pipeline worked last year, and it seems like it could work again.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City