Support Measure L
December 26, 2012
I have lived in Nevada City for 45 years, served 12 years as city council member with two terms as mayor, and today I am the Nevada City treasurer.
My wife and I raised our two children here. I'm a photographer and I speak for myself. Based on my experience over the years, I believe I have a good handle on the realities of our city government. Because of our size, we have always lived a frugal existence while providing quality community services. However, with the onset of this recession we are stretched as thin as it can get. The three big city revenues sources: property, sales and bed taxes are all down between 20 and 30 percent. The result is a drop in revenue of more than $400,000 annually.
This deficit can be easily handled by the voters of Nevada City by supporting Measure L. This small sales tax increase lasting for five years will get us through the downturn, allow the city to provide adequate levels of service, and bring us out in good shape. Two thirds of the money will come from non-city residents.
I'm betting on Nevada City and supporting Measure L all the way.
Trending In: Letters
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says