Summer Thyme’s helps out English language learners
August 31, 2013
On Aug.10, Summer Thyme's — Grass Valley's beloved local bakery and deli — hosted a musical fundraiser for Partners in English Language Learning (PiELL). PiELL is a Nevada County nonprofit whose mission for over 25 years has been to offer free, one-on-one tutoring to adults learning English as a second language. Summer Thyme's owner, Amy Cooke, donated a percentage of the proceeds for the day, and local band "Purdon's Crossing" donated their eclectic, quirky brand of music, as well as their tips.
In total, the event raised $400 for PiELL; this money will go toward outreach, tutor training, and teaching materials.
Anyone interested in volunteering as a tutor can call 530-274-8428 for information, or log onto PiELL's website at piell.org. Please consider volunteering for this worthwhile cause; share your good fortune while building cultural bridges. The next two-day tutor training will be Sept. 21 and 28.
Diane Miessler, PiELL board president
Partners in English Language Learning
Trending In: Letters
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Hilary Hodge: My coming out story
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman tries to euthanize dog that isn’t hers