Summer Thyme’s helps out English language learners
August 31, 2013
On Aug.10, Summer Thyme's — Grass Valley's beloved local bakery and deli — hosted a musical fundraiser for Partners in English Language Learning (PiELL). PiELL is a Nevada County nonprofit whose mission for over 25 years has been to offer free, one-on-one tutoring to adults learning English as a second language. Summer Thyme's owner, Amy Cooke, donated a percentage of the proceeds for the day, and local band "Purdon's Crossing" donated their eclectic, quirky brand of music, as well as their tips.
In total, the event raised $400 for PiELL; this money will go toward outreach, tutor training, and teaching materials.
Anyone interested in volunteering as a tutor can call 530-274-8428 for information, or log onto PiELL's website at piell.org. Please consider volunteering for this worthwhile cause; share your good fortune while building cultural bridges. The next two-day tutor training will be Sept. 21 and 28.
Diane Miessler, PiELL board president
Partners in English Language Learning
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana