Second Amendment rights shouldn’t include assault weapons
February 18, 2013
In the late 1780s, the Second Amendment was written, giving citizens the right to bear arms. These arms were single-shot rifles, pistols, bows, swords, etc.
Some people 200 years later have interpreted this to mean the right to bear 50-round-plus automatic assault weapons. I think these kinds of weapons should only be in the hands of our military or police, not the private citizen who is a gun enthusiast/worshiper. Anyone who needs more than one shot to kill a deer (or a person invading his house) is a bad shot and should not own a gun without demonstratively improving his skills.
A license to own a gun should be as important as a license to drive a car.
Dolores "DD" Johnson
Trending In: Letters
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say