Round and round through health care system
October 14, 2013
I am a senior with diabetes under Medicare. My multi-clix lancet pen used for testing my blood sugar multiple times daily recently broke. I called the pharmacy to inquire about a new pen. The pharmacy does not carry the pens and cannot get the pens from their supplier. They directed me to the manufacturer.
I called the manufacturer. A recorded message instructed me go to the website. I visited the manufacturer's website and found the pen I needed for $30. The website also informed me that I was entitled to a pen at no cost every six months as I am a diabetic on Medicare (my pen is more than two years old). However, the manufacturer does not deal with Medicare and requires me to go through a pharmacy.
Since the pharmacy does not have the pen, I am left with not testing my blood sugar levels or paying $30 for something my taxes have paid for and entitled me to by law.
The politicians may feel good about providing a little old lady with her diabetic care supplies, but the reality is quite different.
Trending In: Letters
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later