Republicans get a win-win on debt limit
November 1, 2013
The congressional Republican outrage over Obamacare is a red herring. They’re after bigger things.
It has been a long-established Republican position that they don’t like “entitlements.” Don’t raise the debt limit and the government can only make partial payments on Social Security, Medicare and other programs. That’s a prize for the GOP. They (particularly the extreme right) don’t care who gets hurt in the process. Under this scenario, Obama will likely flinch, and the GOP will still get something, just like the sequester cuts last year. Then they will be back in a few months and do the same thing.
It will be death by a thousand cuts for all social programs, including Social Security … or a quick bullet to the head if the President doesn’t flinch. One day, the Social Security check won’t show, and people will wonder what happened. You don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone kids.
Trending In: Letters
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location