Republicans get a win-win on debt limit
November 1, 2013
The congressional Republican outrage over Obamacare is a red herring. They're after bigger things.
It has been a long-established Republican position that they don't like "entitlements." Don't raise the debt limit and the government can only make partial payments on Social Security, Medicare and other programs. That's a prize for the GOP. They (particularly the extreme right) don't care who gets hurt in the process. Under this scenario, Obama will likely flinch, and the GOP will still get something, just like the sequester cuts last year. Then they will be back in a few months and do the same thing.
It will be death by a thousand cuts for all social programs, including Social Security … or a quick bullet to the head if the President doesn't flinch. One day, the Social Security check won't show, and people will wonder what happened. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone kids.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands