Regarding Section 5
April 22, 2013
How is it possible that Elaine Meckler can be right in every detail about voter ID in her letter to the editor, but miss the point completely? It is probably time to have a program to provide photo ID for all Americans for any number of reasons, but this technique for combating voter fraud, which we all abhor, is largely a solution for a problem that doesn't exist in significant enough numbers.
Call me a cynic, but I suspect that the Republican push for voter ID was merely a strategy to disenfranchise the poor and the elderly (Democratic voters) who don't have photo ID. Pennsylvania Republican, Mike Turzai had the chutzpah to admit this publicly when he said, aloud that voter ID would help Republicans win. I do not impugn Elaine Meckler's motives, but perhaps even patriots haven't become cynical enough?
Lawrence W. Gold, M.D.
Trending In: Letters
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball