Regarding Section 5
April 22, 2013
How is it possible that Elaine Meckler can be right in every detail about voter ID in her letter to the editor, but miss the point completely? It is probably time to have a program to provide photo ID for all Americans for any number of reasons, but this technique for combating voter fraud, which we all abhor, is largely a solution for a problem that doesn't exist in significant enough numbers.
Call me a cynic, but I suspect that the Republican push for voter ID was merely a strategy to disenfranchise the poor and the elderly (Democratic voters) who don't have photo ID. Pennsylvania Republican, Mike Turzai had the chutzpah to admit this publicly when he said, aloud that voter ID would help Republicans win. I do not impugn Elaine Meckler's motives, but perhaps even patriots haven't become cynical enough?
Lawrence W. Gold, M.D.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local