Public transportation decision should be reconsidered
July 5, 2013
We've seen drastic cuts in our transportation system over the last few years, including the county bus and special transportation services for seniors and those with disabilities.
Now members of my family who relied on these services can no longer use them.
It is my understanding that the county decided to gather bids on these services. I assume this bidding process was started to find a more cost-effective solution, but my understanding is the county hired a company who bid twice as much as Telecare's cost. That's crazy!
Tax dollars allocated for transportation will now be going to a company from Washington State operating at twice the cost. Why should our transportation funding be sent to pad the profit margins of a company in Washington?
I wanted to lodge a complaint and was informed to call the Gold Country Stage. I was told that tax dollars would not be used.
Instead, the department would write grants to cover the cost of about $400,000 to $500,000. I find this hard to believe. If that's possible, why wasn't it done instead of drastically cutting services?
This is outrageous. All taxpayers in Nevada County should contact their representatives and voice their concerns.
Trending In: Letters
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business