Public transportation decision should be reconsidered
July 5, 2013
We've seen drastic cuts in our transportation system over the last few years, including the county bus and special transportation services for seniors and those with disabilities.
Now members of my family who relied on these services can no longer use them.
It is my understanding that the county decided to gather bids on these services. I assume this bidding process was started to find a more cost-effective solution, but my understanding is the county hired a company who bid twice as much as Telecare's cost. That's crazy!
Tax dollars allocated for transportation will now be going to a company from Washington State operating at twice the cost. Why should our transportation funding be sent to pad the profit margins of a company in Washington?
I wanted to lodge a complaint and was informed to call the Gold Country Stage. I was told that tax dollars would not be used.
Instead, the department would write grants to cover the cost of about $400,000 to $500,000. I find this hard to believe. If that's possible, why wasn't it done instead of drastically cutting services?
This is outrageous. All taxpayers in Nevada County should contact their representatives and voice their concerns.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local