Poor treatment of seniors ‘subhuman’
December 26, 2012
Today, I was having lunch in a local Italian bistro when a group of 10 elderly people were brought in by their "caretaker."
All of the seniors appeared cognitively impaired and almost all needed a walker or wheelchair to get around. With growing horror, I watched this caretaker treat all the seniors very tersely, rudely and unkindly, almost as if they were subhuman. One of the women asked four times to go to the bathroom and was denied four times by the caretaker. She even lied and told the woman there was no bathroom (one was plainly in sight). Only when the owner of the bistro told this customer that of course she could go to the bathroom, did the caretaker grudgingly allow her to go.
My promise to those seniors is that I will follow through with this with the hope that the kind of treatment they received today will not reoccur.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans