Politics as usual
May 21, 2013
It’s sad that the Nevada County Republican Party, which has “unanimously passed a resolution”(!) concerning the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance, can’t see past its misguided sanctimony. The pledge as it stands now (as modified in 1954) is one of the last vestiges of McCarthyism that we are still too scared to confront as a nation.
To me, it seems decidedly un-American and contrary to our declaration of religious tolerance. Sure, “… one nation under God …” got in there easy enough in one quick flash of legislative fear-mongering and red-baiting, but to even breach the subject of its removal or of its relevance … well, that’s just unpatriotic and quite possibly the work of Satan.
This is just politics as usual and of the lowest common denominator.
North San Juan
Trending In: Letters
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location