Politics as usual
May 21, 2013
It's sad that the Nevada County Republican Party, which has "unanimously passed a resolution"(!) concerning the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance, can't see past its misguided sanctimony. The pledge as it stands now (as modified in 1954) is one of the last vestiges of McCarthyism that we are still too scared to confront as a nation.
To me, it seems decidedly un-American and contrary to our declaration of religious tolerance. Sure, "… one nation under God …" got in there easy enough in one quick flash of legislative fear-mongering and red-baiting, but to even breach the subject of its removal or of its relevance … well, that's just unpatriotic and quite possibly the work of Satan.
This is just politics as usual and of the lowest common denominator.
North San Juan
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local