Politics as usual
May 21, 2013
It's sad that the Nevada County Republican Party, which has "unanimously passed a resolution"(!) concerning the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance, can't see past its misguided sanctimony. The pledge as it stands now (as modified in 1954) is one of the last vestiges of McCarthyism that we are still too scared to confront as a nation.
To me, it seems decidedly un-American and contrary to our declaration of religious tolerance. Sure, "… one nation under God …" got in there easy enough in one quick flash of legislative fear-mongering and red-baiting, but to even breach the subject of its removal or of its relevance … well, that's just unpatriotic and quite possibly the work of Satan.
This is just politics as usual and of the lowest common denominator.
North San Juan
Trending In: Letters
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier