Please salute the ‘Medical Marines’
July 16, 2013
Medical Marines, otherwise known as the Sierra Nevada Memorial Ambulance, are the first to respond to your medical emergency. The brave men and women, whom I salute, have saved my life on two occasions.
During the first occasion, I endured a major heart attack at home, and I called 911. Years after, I lost mobility of my lower extremities, and again, I was forced to call 911.
Each time, the same group of brave men and women risked their lives racing down the street in the middle of the night.
The vehicle they drive is not an ordinary van. They are indeed "mini hospitals" filled with all the updated equipment and are ready to respond to any type of emergency.
This profession is very rewarding. You all come home and should be proud that you help save many lives. At a critical time, no matter who you are, you will realize the importance of this service.
Please salute with me, the first responders, "The Medical Marines."
Steve W. Lewis
March 23, 1951-July 10, 2013
Steve Lewis died July 10. See his obituary on page A5.
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed