PG&E needs to be reminded of their safety pledge
April 24, 2013
My wife and I were hiking at Scotts Flat Lake when we noticed a freshly burned patch in the forest. On our way out, I questioned a staff member at the launch ramp about the fire, and he said that prior to the fire, PG&E had been informed about a tree leaning on power lines, which they inspected and then left. Some time later, a fire was started by sparking across the lines. How can this happen?
My understanding is that since the San Bruno disaster, all PG&E personnel have been reminded of the PG&E safety pledge:
"I always put safety first.
I look for and act to resolve unsafe situations.
I help and encourage others to act safely."
Unfortunately the message doesn't seem to have reached Nevada County. With fire season fast approaching, I hope that everyone at PG&E is forcefully reminded of the pledge. I would like to hear that those involved in leaving such an obvious safety hazard have been strongly reprimanded.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom