Palestine-Israel comments disappointing
January 22, 2013
The January 9 "Free Palestine from Israeli rule" Other Voices column was filled with conjecture, misinformation, and the demonization of Israel. The author calls the Israelis despots, genocidal, Jewish Zionists, and the world's oppressors while the Palestinians are described as unarmed, unprotected citizens. These words only serve to stir up bigotry towards Israel. The anti-Semitism of the past now masquerades as anti-Zionism.
The Palestinian people have definitely suffered socially, economically, and politically since the creation of Israel by the UN. Not because of Israel, but because Arab leaders have used the Palestinians as pawns in a struggle for destroying the state of Israel.
The Palestinian people deserve better. They need leadership with political will to make peace. At Camp David in 2000, Yasser Arafat rejected Israel's offer of over 90% of the West Bank; Gaza; East Jerusalem as their capital; and compensation for Palestinian refugees. President Clinton was stunned.
In 2005 Israel gave back Gaza and demolished four West Bank settlements as a prelude to peace. From 2001 through 2012, more than 10,000 rockets and mortars have been launched into Israel from the surrounding territories. How does this promote a future Palestinian state, coexisting alongside Israel in peace?
Trending In: Letters
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Grass Valley native climbs ranks in high school rodeo