Open letter to Tournament of Roses president
January 18, 2014
To R. Scott Jenkins, president, 2014 Tournament of Roses:
Historically, the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade and the Rose Bowl have been wonderful events we could look forward to every New Year's Day. Not so now. You seem to have lost it. I believe your board of directors and executive committee need to rethink their positions and/or resign.
What you did this year is pathetic! First, you allowed a gay marriage ceremony on a float in the parade. Why? You offended a large portion of our country with that float. Then you turned our national anthem into a joke at the game. The group that "performed" it might be good, but our national anthem is not a "pop song." Even ESPN turned down the sound after the sad rendition finished to block out the booing from the crowd. Our family was very offended again, and as a veteran, I think I can speak for others who felt the same way.
Maybe it is time to rethink your plans for future parades and games. Or maybe you just don't care.
Trending In: Letters
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Grass Valley native climbs ranks in high school rodeo