Of elephants and empathy
June 25, 2013
It's not just about elephants.
Our full humanness depends on our ability to take in what others feel, to genuinely care about our neighbor, our county, our country and all sentient beings in the world. When we despoil our own nest, when we treat animals as inanimate objects or toys, when we emphasize short-term gain instead of long-term thinking for the benefit of all, we are being less than fully human. Many in our county have a lifelong intention of developing these qualities of humanity in themselves.
Looks like some of the decision makers do not.
Trending In: Letters
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier