No need for apologies
April 24, 2014
I noted with wry amusement the apologetic tone of the employees of Eskaton as they prepared to exercise their right to form a union. It speaks to the amazing success that conservatives have had in portraying unions as more problematic than helpful to their members.
Union membership has been sliding for decades, and not coincidentally, so have real wages and benefits for the majority of American employees. Here in Nevada County, there are still too many people chasing too few jobs; the employees of Eskaton need to unionize in order to prevent management from simply dismissing their concerns — and their persons — and hiring others in their stead.
Trending In: Letters
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier