No need for apologies
April 24, 2014
I noted with wry amusement the apologetic tone of the employees of Eskaton as they prepared to exercise their right to form a union. It speaks to the amazing success that conservatives have had in portraying unions as more problematic than helpful to their members.
Union membership has been sliding for decades, and not coincidentally, so have real wages and benefits for the majority of American employees. Here in Nevada County, there are still too many people chasing too few jobs; the employees of Eskaton need to unionize in order to prevent management from simply dismissing their concerns — and their persons — and hiring others in their stead.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Lack of inventory continues to drive higher price of homes in Nevada County
- Teardown begins for Tractor Supply Company in Grass Valley
- Property purchase first step in improving pedestrian access to downtown Grass Valley (MAP)
- Grass Valley woman charged after dog dies in hot car
- Nevada County prosecutor: Child sex suspect caught at airport