No elephants at the fair
July 5, 2013
As a longtime volunteer for Sammie's Friends Animal Shelter and animal advocate, I strongly urge the Nevada County Fair Board to rescind the contract with the Have Trunk Will Travel business concerning elephant rides at the county fair in August.
Nevada County has proven to be a very strong animal rights community on numerous occasions; we do not and should not be supporting businesses that utilize animals strictly for the entertainment of humans at the animals' expense. I believe we are a humane community, and as such, we should be a model to our children and citizens in the treatment of all living beings.
Elephants are fast becoming an endangered species due to human greed and other malfeasance; let us be a community that supports organizations which protect elephants rather than those which use animals for their own selfish purposes.
Trending In: Letters
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed