Newtown questions and answers
December 26, 2012
I have not been so distraught since 9/11/01. Words cannot express my sorrow for the families. And I am concerned for the future of our nation.
What is the real cause and how do we prevent such madness? Some say more gun control.
From 40 years of public safety experience, I think this is a misdirected approach. Guns do not commit violence. People do. People with evil intent will find guns.
Gun control merely leaves innocent and responsible citizens defenseless.
Where then do we look? An epidemic of youth depression, suicide, and violence suggest there is a mental health crisis in this country. We now know there is a positive link between psych drugs and homicidal/suicidal actions of children and teens and adults.
Methamphetamines, barbiturates, anti-depressants, Valium, Zoloft, Proxil, Lexapro, Paxil, Ritalin and Luvox are given to our kids like candy. They frequently lead to anxiety, anger, distortions of reality and violence.
I am not in favor of more regulation and loss of freedom that does not address the real problem.
Let's control the psych drugs and violent entertainment sold to our children. These are powerful industries. And let's restore family ties, personal responsibility, respect for life and self-esteem among our youth.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws