Newtown questions and answers
December 26, 2012
I have not been so distraught since 9/11/01. Words cannot express my sorrow for the families. And I am concerned for the future of our nation.
What is the real cause and how do we prevent such madness? Some say more gun control.
From 40 years of public safety experience, I think this is a misdirected approach. Guns do not commit violence. People do. People with evil intent will find guns.
Gun control merely leaves innocent and responsible citizens defenseless.
Where then do we look? An epidemic of youth depression, suicide, and violence suggest there is a mental health crisis in this country. We now know there is a positive link between psych drugs and homicidal/suicidal actions of children and teens and adults.
Methamphetamines, barbiturates, anti-depressants, Valium, Zoloft, Proxil, Lexapro, Paxil, Ritalin and Luvox are given to our kids like candy. They frequently lead to anxiety, anger, distortions of reality and violence.
I am not in favor of more regulation and loss of freedom that does not address the real problem.
Let's control the psych drugs and violent entertainment sold to our children. These are powerful industries. And let's restore family ties, personal responsibility, respect for life and self-esteem among our youth.
Trending In: Letters
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed