Moving monitor at Hirschman’s a good step
November 1, 2013
As a neighbor who has been involved with the Hirschman's project since its beginning, I would like to thank the Nevada City City Council for its wisdom in moving the water monitor back from the pond area to a location that still affords an educational experience while enjoying a lovely view of the pond. Moving the monitor is an important step in protecting a critical habitat area.
Hirschman's Trail has been open to the public for a few years now. Recently, a grant has enabled Sierra Streams Institute to assess, for the first time, the wildlife habitat around the pond and the organization will be presenting its initial findings soon. This will hopefully allow the many friends of Hirschman's and the city to decide what the appropriate balance is between wildlife, their habitat and our human use.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire