Money goes directly to the kids
May 6, 2014
I was looking over the financial statement of a local nonprofit that we support. On the glossy pages, I noticed that 29 percent of its income is spent on administration and fundraising.
Hmmm. Perhaps that is industry standard among the "big and fancies." What came to the front of my mind and spurred the writing of this letter is the work of two volunteer groups that contribute in a way that delights my soul. The blooming daffodils along our freeway corridor is one. The other is the stunning display of American flags in downtown Grass Valley four times each year. The Grass Valley Schools Foundation for Arts and Science is responsible for this display. This all-volunteer organization benefits students by funding classroom projects and activities. This organization hasn't done so well with its fundraising; the flags were an early idea of the organization.
I would love to see donations pouring into the organization's mailbox and individuals and businesses making this a regular part of their local giving back. Visit http://www.gvschoolsfoundation.org for more information. Make a donation to GVSFAS, 10840 Gilmore Way, Grass Valley, 95945. Your gift will go directly to the kids. I'm writing our check now.
Rough and Ready
Trending In: Letters
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed