Mary Furney: We are a nation of immigrants
December 1, 2016
I am dismayed with the racist undertone letters to the editor I have been reading lately. I believe all people of this land should remember that the early pilgrims and immigrants who settled in what has become the United States of America were not invited nor documented.
Let us also remember that the people who actually inhabited this land when these undocumented immigrants arrived likely had dark skin, debunking the alt-right account that this is a nation that belongs to white people or "children of the sun." Light skin doesn't fair well with too much sun by the way, so much for white supremacy!
What has made this nation great are the contributions of immigrants, people brought to this land against their will, along with natives. This nation would have no doubt been far greater if the early people who came here along with the government that has been created treated the native peoples with the respect and social justice they deserve.
In the true spirit of the holidays, let's treat all people with tolerance, kindness, empathy and respect, keeping in mind the last line of the Pledge of Allegiance: "…with liberty and justice for all."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County