Lori Martin: Let freedom ring!
June 19, 2017
It is time for barbecues, fireworks, and/or enjoying Donner Lake. Parties often include alcohol and can turn from festive to fatal if driving is involved. Before drinking, choosing a designated sober driver is a priority. When I was 16 in 1992, I was hit head-on by a drunken driver. The collision gave me many broken and dislocated bones, paralysis, and a 100-day coma. I was a patient in two hospitals for seven months followed by therapy for 17 months. Not a life I wanted.
My hearing, talking and walking are damaged because a drunken driver hit me 25 years ago. This tragedy can happen to anyone. Driving drunk is preventable and we must make that clear to all.
You don't have to be falling-down drunk to be too impaired to drive. Therefore, a fun-filled summer comes only with a sober driver.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada City’s Stone House fully up and running after year-long renovation