Lori Martin: Let freedom ring!
June 19, 2017
It is time for barbecues, fireworks, and/or enjoying Donner Lake. Parties often include alcohol and can turn from festive to fatal if driving is involved. Before drinking, choosing a designated sober driver is a priority. When I was 16 in 1992, I was hit head-on by a drunken driver. The collision gave me many broken and dislocated bones, paralysis, and a 100-day coma. I was a patient in two hospitals for seven months followed by therapy for 17 months. Not a life I wanted.
My hearing, talking and walking are damaged because a drunken driver hit me 25 years ago. This tragedy can happen to anyone. Driving drunk is preventable and we must make that clear to all.
You don't have to be falling-down drunk to be too impaired to drive. Therefore, a fun-filled summer comes only with a sober driver.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)