Lift fireworks ban, no new taxes
December 26, 2012
Grass Valley wants us to pass a sales tax increase this November. Has the city council done all it can to increase revenue without raising taxes?
The council passed a ban on fireworks several years ago when the budget when is good shape. I have asked the council several times do a cost analyst or repeal this ban with no response from them. Now they want my vote on a tax increase. I participated in the decision making process leading up to the ban. We have had very few problems from fireworks here in the city, the ban is really for the areas that don't allow fireworks and the idiots setting them off illegally.
Instead of the county addressing the problem the council choose to punish the law abiding citizens of Grass Valley. Maybe the city council should ask the county supervisors to pass a ban on debris burning? If you asked Police Chief Foster which is more of a problem on the fourth, alcohol or fireworks I bet the answer would be booze.
Yes it is fire season, thanks. Give our city the revenue and our nonprofits the money from selling fireworks and repeal the ban on fireworks.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local