Just one question: Why?
November 5, 2013
To the person who objected to the sign advertising our Boston Tea Party dinner displayed on Highway 49, I have one question — why? You caused the sign to be removed. Wasn't this country founded on the principles of free speech and the right to assemble? This is our first fundraiser, celebrating our Founding Fathers and the wonderful country they bequeathed us.
Have you ever been to one of our meetings? Do you understand what we hope to achieve? The answer is fiscal responsibility, adherence to the Constitution and belief in the free market system.
Is this radical or extreme? We are not a political party, nor do we personally attack those who disagree with us. Even while disagreeing, I am sure there is one fact we all recognize. Our country is going through a difficult time, requiring we all work to correct the poor choices that have caused this.
We can begin by restoring the civility that was once the basic core of our discourse, allowing us to respect one another whether we agreed or not. Absent this civility and respect, we will render our country too divided to succeed in the work that lies ahead.
Nancy Garcia, president
Nevada County Tea Party
Trending In: Letters
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later